Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Paris, Roscoff, and the Ferry...

Now, Paris was not a place that I had thought I would be able to go and did not really plan on it, however, due to not being able to make it all the way to the port I was ferrying from in one day, I just had to stop. Oh darn, got to take a pit stop in Paris. Too bad. Just KIDDING! I didn't get there until about 2 or so in the afternoon. I had booked my hostel already and it was in a really nice area of the city. Once I figured out the system of the Paris metro I was fine, though it did take some thinking. The stop was ever so close to the hostel making me very happy. I didn't have to search for too long. Once I got there I explored a bit. The hostel had one of the most amazing staircases I have every seen. It creaked and squeaked, and was old, but I thought it was so great.

Once I got all checked in I left immediately for the Louvre. I know that there are much better museums in Paris than the Louvre but I only had one day, one afternoon really, to get the things in that I've always wanted to see. I would have kicked myself for not going to the Louvre. So, I got there from the Metro which pops up right in the underbelly of the museum and walked in. I bought my ticket and went straight for the most famous pieces. I saw the Venus de Milo, the Winged Victory and the Mona Lisa. Here's another place where there are people everywhere and so much to see. After the three big ones, I put on my headphones and just started to walk. Fast mind you, just looking and taking it all in. I found some places where there were barely any people, and it was fun kind of losing myself in the place. I in face have no idea where I was for the most part and that was fine with me. The museum was going to be closing at 6 so I left a bit before that. I went up through the new entrance in the giant glass pyramid and began my slow pace towards the Eiffel Tower.


The first part of Paris that I saw, the metro.


Outside the Louvre.

I just meandered through the wonderful streets towards the giant beacon, obviously I did not need a map. I got to the tower and got in line to get up to the top. Through the course of the line I saw a girl wearing the 2006 Michigan football t-shirt and everytime we passed each other in line kind of struck up a conversation. After about 45 minutes in line I got to go up the elevator to the second platform. This was not that interesting, there was a restaurant and some shops, that's all really. I just wanted to get up to the top so I hopped in line for the elevator. Once in the elevator, I got a bit shoved up against the back of it, only realizing that it was another door made of glass when the world fell out from beneath me. I could have had a heart attack had I had heart problems. It was like riding a roller coaster. My stomach got all fluttery I felt like I would be falling at any moment. It was a long ride too, or at least it felt like it. Once at the top I went out onto the viewing platform and that's when I realized, the city of Paris is not discernable unless you can SEE the Eiffel Tower. Therefore I did not take many pictures. It was still worth the experience of it all. It took a while but I finally got down onto the ground again, made my way back to the hostel and went to sleep. I was completely beat and had to get up early to make my train to Roscoff. It's so fun to tell people, oh yeah, I went to Paris, but I was only there a night. It's like passing through a small town in Michigan on a road trip, just no biggy.


That's me in front of the Eiffel Tower


And that's me on the Eiffel Tower.

The next morning, I checked out really early, got to the train station, which was luckily on the same metro line as my hostel. The train I was riding was a TGV, which I don't know what stands for, but it goes really fast, like upwards of 200 miles an hour or something like that. It's also a very nice train compared to some of the things that I was on. Well this day was the first day in the entire time I was traveling that it started to sprinkle and even rain. Surprisingly enough I was very happy to see this. Sun for over a month is nice sure, but I'm too used to Michigan and Ireland weather. I also finally got use of the sweatshirt that I brought with me. When I was in Athens I could not figure out why I had it, but by this time, I completely appreciated the warmth. On the train I just watched the scenery go by. I think I would have liked the northern part of France better than the south. It was much more, I don't know, cozy. Smaller, less trouisty, more the place for me. I saw a field of artichokes growing, which surprised me, I wasn't even sure if they were artichokes. Apparently they were. Once I got up to Roscoff, the port where ferries head back to Ireland leave from, I had to walk and find my way through the town to the water. The town reminded me a lot of Ireland, it was quiet, small, and raining. The only big difference was that no one was speaking English. Well I had to wait around for a few hours, so I took my time, mostly just sat and read, this time I was reading Frankenstein. We departed, and my heart jumped, I was on my way back to home, well my second home that is. I was in such a good mood.

This ferry was much better than the Greek one. There was actually a bunch of stuff to do. I watched a few movies, they had shows and such going on, and everyone was speaking English. And not just any old English, Irish accented English. I was so glad to hear the accent again. You know how you don't know that you miss something until it randomly comes back into your life? Well apparently the Irish acccent is that for me. This time it was much easier to sleep. There were these lounge like chairs that leaned back, almost like a bed. It was very cold but I slept pretty well. I was so excited to get back to Ireland, I cannot even explain the joy.


Yay, it's gray out. On the ferry.

*A few things I will miss about Paris: The art, the architecture, the city in general, and the fact that I barely got to see any of it.

*A few things I will miss about Northern France: Mostly just the fact that I didn't get to see much of it.

*A few things I will miss about the Ferry: Again, there's not much about the ferry I will miss.

No comments: