Thursday, January 01, 2009

Next Stop: Craic

Craic (pronounced 'crack'): meaning 'fun or enjoyment'

Today Mary and I walked around Howth to do some exploring. It's not that cold here, I only wore a down vest and was kind of hot after walking for a while. There were a lot of people out down by the water, and a surprising amount of tourists. That made me feel less awkward seeing as I was carrying around a giant camera taking pictures at every turn. It gets dark here pretty early and our schedules are still rather messed up so we weren't out for that long. Probably an hour and a half. We talked with one of the workers at the off license just down the street and so far, everyone has been rather friendly, which is comforting. I can't really wait until we get a chance to explore the towns around here too.

I think in the next few days we're going to go into Dublin, and I'm excited to finally get back there. I was there once last time, and it was only for 3 days, which was definitely not enough time. I may also take the bus out to the west coast soonish to meet up with Gwen and Joe for a fun reunion of sorts in the Burren. As of right now though, I think we're about to watch a movie and hit the hay. To hold you over, here's some photos from today's romp around the city.

The front door of our house


The Cock Tavern


St. Mary's church, the ruins down the way


The Irish Sea


Some of the shops up the street




Oh and Happy New Year! Or Hippo Gnu Deer if you're my brother.

1 comment:

Michael said...

hahah, oh Emily, you simply must drink from The Cock. And take pictures.

I miss you already and it's weird that you're halfway around the world from me. Thank you so much for the new years message! You're number came up as UNAVAILABLE, which I realize now is probably because you're using a calling card or something.