Thursday, November 08, 2007

My number 4

This is my reaction to the number 4. I don't think it's done yet. I have to do some mock ups and or models.



Each of the canvases are 4inx4in. There are 16 of them all together (4x4). There are 4 squares in each of them. And the symbol that each individual grid makes is the original glyph for the number. Also I used the colors CMYK which are colors that printers use to print (if you've ever had to change ink cartridges you should know this). It's all about the number 4.

Do you think I'm done? Do you have any suggestions? Please help!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conceptually the CMYK basis is a fine idea, but not earth-shattering.

I feel as though they are unfinished, and need something to tie them together on the vertical axis.

Now you have four rows of four identical paintings. What if there was a slight variation across, the same way that there is down.

Are there enough of the symbols in the evolution of the numeral four (like in your last post) to do something?

Like there are 8 symbols in that evolution...and there are variations of 4s in this series.

Something ties those together. I just don't know what.

I feel like each painting has to be different. Four down and four across. Like you could look at any one of them and have them be unique, and then all together they say something else.

Sorry this is late.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, there are also 9 white squares around the center of the painting. Could the 8 glyphs go into those 8 squares with a unique symbol in the middle?

Or what about the binary representation of 4 (which would be One Zero Zero or 100) as the next evolution? That could be a 9th glyph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

Data What?

Joey Ostrander said...

it is funny that you are strange enough to post both this and the last at 4:44 on the clock.

Avi said...

I just thought you needed a fourth comment. ;-)