Thursday, November 08, 2007

4

When I say the number 4, what do you think of?

Here's something to think about: 4 is the natural number following 3 and preceeding 5.

Have you ever tried to define a number? I find it interesting because I never have thought about the definition of a number before. I have always just had the understanding of them. Numbers are the same as symbols. No matter how much we think the letters of the alphabet are letters, they are really just symbols, abstract and don't mean anything. ABSTRACT!



That's the evolution of the number 4 as a glyph. I am completely boggled by the fact that none of the glyphs mean anything to me until I reach the end, and then it seems to be instinct of numbers that kicks in. It's so embedded in our brains that 4 means a number to us, it's a representation of a number, that's all.

It's weird to question something you think you have such a grasp on.

I'm gonna go back to thinking about numbers.

No comments: