Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Nice Little Holiday

Another visit from a friend from home. Allison, someone I used to work with back at Telefund, came to visit me as my last visitor. I probably did the best showing her around town and Ireland of all the visits (even my parents). It probably has something to do with the fact that I had a lot of practice with Jamie and then my parents. She got in on a Saturday, left on the next Friday and we did enough things to fit into three weeks. We did all the typical things like the Guinness Storehouse, the Hop On Hop Off bus tour around the city, and ate fish and chips with a bit of Guinness on the side. Duh, things you HAVE to do if you come to Dublin.

In addition to those fun adventures we took a trip out west. We booked a hostel for one night in Galway City and took a day trip to the Aran Islands. For how many times I've been to Galway, I never stayed over night. So it was fun and new for me as well as Allison. We went for a walk around the city when we first got there and then at night we went out to a local pub that had traditional Irish music. Galway, and the west for that matter, is known for the music. The weather was in our favor as well, surprisingly enough. That never happens on the west coast because you're right on the Atlantic so the winds bring bad weather quickly, but just as quickly take them away again. We saw a few rainbows (no leprechauns or pots of gold though). On our second day there we took the ferry out to Inis Mór which is the largest of the Aran Islands. Again this was something that I had never done so it was new for both me and Allison. We were only there for a few hours and did a short little bus tour and a bit of a hike up to see an old stone fort. It was excellent weather again and we had a great time. I can't even explain how pretty it was, but I do have some photos (obviously).

The River Corrib.


Allison walking down Quay Street.


Allison jumping under the Spanish Arch.


Me jumping in Eyre Square.


A fun shop front.


Allison and I in front of the River Corrib.


The name of the stone for that we hiked up to on Inis Mór.


Me and Allison in front of the fort.


The cliffs on the Island.


I laid down on the edge of the cliff and looked down. This is what I saw.


I'm so glad Allison was able to visit. I think she had a great time, I know I did.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I love that you went out "west." And how long did it take you reach the coast? 3 hrs? You can't even drive across Washington State in 3 hours.

:) Miss you. Can't wait to see you NEXT MONTH!!

Emily said...

Wait noway!!! Next month?! Yesssss, I'm so excited.