Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Weather's nice, and here's some pictures...

I know people have wanted to see some pictures so here's some from the past few weeks.



A street in Galway City. This was from our first trip outside of Ballyvaughan. We went for a Saturday right before we started classes officially. I am pretty sure this is the sun peeking through the clouds about a minute after it stopped raining.



Still in Galway. There's no real definition between a lot of buildings here. Most of the time it's only paint that tells you you're looking at two separate places. It's like that everywhere not just in Galway.



Galway still, but this seems to be a chaing whatever it is. Read the sign then figure out what is wrong with it...



This is Danny on our first day of school. I had to take the classic picture.



We have this class on Fridays called Irish Studies where we go out into the field and learn about the area. This is a turlough which is what we like to call a fake lake that appears and dissappears through a sink hole in the limestone. These things are totally huge, some are hundreds of acres and in the summer there is no water to be found there. The areas surrounding the turloughs generally go through a drought in the summer. Wierd huh?



Just goes to show you that these are areas used in the summer. This is a stone wall that just dissappears into the water.



Everything is so beautiful here.



On a "soft day" in Ireland. A soft day is where it's misty and rainy. By our standards, pouring rain is their rain...it gets really wet sometimes.



Irish cattle look a lot different than them American ones. They're a lot burlier.



Exit signs are pretty funny here. The person is sooooo hurried that they are almost falling over. The signs all over are pretty funny as well. The figures on them are more realistic than the stick figures back home. I'll try to take some more pictures of signs so everyone can see what I am talking about.



This is Trinity College in Dublin. I wish U of M was like this.



This is what I was talking about in my post about Dublin. This is the Irish Museum of Modern Art. It's so old yet it has such new furnishings everywhere else.



We've decided that this has to be the cover of a new CD. It's Aaron, Luke and Meg out in front of our hostel in Dublin.

That's all for now. We're hoping to head back to Dublin in a couple of weeks and I should be able to take more pictures then. Enjoy!

1 comment:

smdpa said...

Hi Emily,

Linda sent me your blog. It is wonderful!! My Mom and I went to Ireland in 1991. We have seen many of the things you have. It is such an amazing place!!! I felt like I was coming home when we arrived there. I was homesick when we left. My genetic memory maybe former life. I also saw the Book of Kells but we went through the two story book room waiting in line. I was so itching to look through those books. I didn't see a storyteller but our tour guide played a tape of one. I looked at Mom and said "Oh No It's genetic! No wonder I tell stories the way I do." Sad part was that she agreed with me.
Thanks for the blog! Keep enjoying yourself.

Sue (one of the sidekicks)