Tuesday, August 25, 2009

London

The end of May rolled around and since my Irish work visa was only for 5 months, I had to leave the country by the 30th and come back in to the country as a tourist. Complicated as it was, it was the perfect opportunity for me to take a fun little romp through another country. I decided to go to London because I found tickets through Ryan Air for only 2 euro. How could I pass that up? So I started out my little excursion in London. I went to the British Museum, which is awesome by the way, then met up with a friend, took a tour of Westminster Abbey, walked on the Thames, and went to the Tate Modern. I had a really great time, very different from the last time that I was in London, for one, I actually went INSIDE buildings.

Oustide the British Museum


In the British Museum's Hall of Knowledge. So many cool things.


The Rosetta Stone


This is a clock


I met up with a friend and he took me to Brixton, where apparently 'Electric Avenue' is. The song is based on this area of London.


It's hard not to find an Irish pub. This was about a 5 minute walk from my hostel. Right near Kings Cross Station (yes Harry Potter).


This is the 24 hour diner that Briana and I stayed in two years ago waiting for the train station to open. We didn't have a place to stay that night, obviously.


The London Eye


This is like the Viking tour of Dublin that Allison and I took when she came to visit. It's an amphibious vehicle from WWII.


Big Ben, double decker bus, pretty buildings, it must be London.


Walking down the Thames I found this statue that had a plaque saying that the holes along the wall and statues were from a bomb exploding on the street nearby in WWI.


The British sure do love to steal from other cultures. An Egyptian obelisk? Really?


The Thames


Inside the Tate Modern


The Globe Theater where the Royal Shakespeare Company's housed

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You're jealous of me and Wyoming? I'm jealous of you and London. Let's share vacations okay?